About Me!

I'm a creative; I'm smart-ish, funny (I hope) and permanently hungry...I love to read, draw, build (terrible) robots, take photos and eat... Please follow me by email and on Google+
(on the right sidebar)

p.s Scroll to the very bottom of the homepage for a list of my favourite books :)

Thursday 31 March 2016

Steamed Pork Buns

Hi y'all,

I made steamed pork buns!! One of my life-goals has been achieved. And here is how I did it (using this recipe though: http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/32735/steamed+pork+buns)


First of all, gather your ingredients:



  • 2tsp peanut oil (I didn't use that at all and they turned out fine)
  • 200g pork mince 
  • 1/3cup Hoi Sin sauce
  • 2 green onions thinly sliced
  • 1stp instant dried yeast (it's important that this be fresh so the dough rises correctly)
  • 1tbsp caster sugar 
  • 2/3 cup warm water
  • 1 1/2 cups plain flour

Then you follow these instruction (taken directly off the Taste website because I'm lazy!)

Step 1: Heat a wok over high heat. Add oil. Swirl to coat. Add mince. Stir-fry for 3 minutes or until brown. Add hoi sin sauce and stir to coat. Add onion. Stir until well combined. Transfer mixture to a bowl and set aside for 20 minutes to cool (ADD EXTRA SAUCE IF YOU WANT AT THIS POINT. SEE THE NOTE BELOW)

Step 2: Meanwhile, combine the yeast, 2tsp sugar and 2tbsp warm water in a small bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let this mix stand for 20 minutes or until bubbles appear on the surface. Place flour in a large bowl. Add the yeast mixture, remaining sugar and remaining water. Stir to form a soft dough, adding another tbsp of warm water if necessary. Turn out on a floured surface and knead for 10 minutes (or until smooth). 

Step 3: Using floured hands pat 1 dough portion into an 8cm disc. Place 2tsp mince mixture (or more/less depending on the thickness of your disc) into the center of this disc. Draw the edges up to form a bun and pinch together to seal. Repeat with the remaining dough and mince mixture. One done, cover loosely with a tea towel and set aside for 30 minutes to prove.

Step 4: Place a large steamer (does not have to be bamboo like the website says, I used a metal one) lined with baking paper over a saucepan or wok of simmering water. (make sure the steamed is not touching the water). Using a metal skewer, pierce holes in the baking paper. Steam the buns, in batches, for 12-15 minutes or until puffed and tender. Serve!

NOTE: I actually made more sauce to go in the mince mixture, while it's cooling after being fried with the onions. I added some black-bean sauce and a bit of water, as well as extra Hoi Sin sauce. You don't have to do this, I just mention it because mine tasted extra yummy after I did this :)

This is how delicious my mince mixture looked, it makes me hungry just remembering it:

Here is how the dough should look:



I have to say, before the uncooked buns had time to rise they looked really gross:


But once cooked they were fabulous:

So there you have it: a majorly succesful recipe for steamed pork buns so you too can enjoy the glory!

Thanks for reading, Eve out :3
p.s Why not get updates when I post by subscribing by email! In the right sidebar, at the top of the page :) 

1 comment:

  1. These were really amazing. I think we were both surprised. Should be on permanent rotation.

    ReplyDelete